Cases Without Counsel
The number of capital defendants on California's death row without habeas counsel is at a crisis level.
- Costs of Capital Punishment in California
- Executing the Will of the Voters?
- California Commission on the Fair Administration of Justice Final Report
Private Counsel Appointments
Historically, the California Supreme Court has appointed counsel to indigent persons for capital post-conviction proceedings. The following websites and documents provide general information regarding capital state habeas appointments:
- Brochure from the California Supreme Court (CSC) about appointments in capital cases
- CSC Website - Death Penalty Cases
- CSC Qualification Criteria for Appointment to Capital Cases
- CSC Application for Appointment to Capital Appeal and/or Habeas Corpus/Executive Clemency Proceedings. Apply directly to the CSC by using the PDF Form or by using the online application.
- CSC Policies Regarding Cases Arising from Judgments of Death, Including Payment Guidelines
- CSC News Release: Supreme Court Revises Procedures in Death Penalty Appeals
- CSC Appendix of Appointed Counsel's Duties
- CSC Memorandum Regarding Its Fee and Expense Application Process
- Materials Regarding CSC Compensation for Post-Conviction Discovery: